Re: [RC] Trailer Tying (or not) (was rolling the dice) - Elizabeth Walker

Well, I'll jump in here. :)

I've done both - tied and not tied. Sometimes it depends on the horse. If a horse normally rides quietly, I tend not to tie in the trailer, since I've been known to once or twice forget to untie the head before opening up the back - guaranteed to cause a horse to panic a bit.

I have a straight load, so until I unhook the butt bar, the horse isn't going to come flying out. However, whether I tie or don't tie, my routine is (from the outside) to go to the horses head, untie if needed, and loop the rope over the neck. Then go to the back, open the doors and undo the butt bar.

BTW - the halter stays on. If I don't tie, I still loop the rope through the tie ring so that it won't come loose. I've tried throwing the rope over the horses back, but most of the time it ends up on the floor where the horse can step on it.

If I have more than one horse in the trailer, I will tie. I don't need any squealing and fighting back there, and I sure don't need horse A biting horse B on the back (and yes, some short-backed, rubber- necked gumbies can do that).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that trailers in a box stall configuration, where the horse has room to move around. Does that cause any problems?