[RC] re: the horse can't out pull you - tying and rolling the dice - Kristi Schaaf

Rhonda wrote:
I think there are horses for whom Parelli style methods will work just fine.
And there are horses, like my strong willed mare, for whom Parelli methods are
just a disaster......She decided at one point that she wouldn't lead and would
race backwards instead.  She quickly learned that I could run forward faster
than she could run backwards, and that I would make her continue to run
backwards waaaaaay longer than she thought was fun.
___________________

Actually, I once had a top-notch Parelli clinician do exactly that to my horse
at a clinic because he didn't like my horse's pissy attitude. I had no idea my
horse could back that fast or that far. That was the right answer for that
horse at that time, and his attitude was 'yes maam' when he was handed back to
me. But he was never in danger of being hurt, either physically or emotionally,
and that's an important point to remember.

Also, I think 'Parelli methods' (or any other 'method' for that matter, since
this whole thread isn't about PNH) often get inaccurately generalized by
people. I've seen Pat Parelli get VERY physically assertive with a horse and
I've seen Ray Hunt (as amazing a horsemen as they come) get a horse to do
something no one else could by practically just passing his thoughts on to the
horse.

The crux of the matter is that the vast majority of us think we're more
proficient at reading horses than we really are, and we don't have the exact
timing needed to make things look effortless. The great horsemen can make it
look so easy. But the few times they need to get assertive enough that the
human eye can see it, the general horse owner thinks 'see, THAT'S the way you
get a horse to do what you want' and the next thing you know that person is
bullying and manhandling horses ALL the time. One of the natural horsemanship
guys (can't remember which one) has a saying that is something like 'as soft as
possible and as firm as necessary'. But sooooooo many people jump right to the
firm part and forget all about offering the horse the soft part, and that's the
attitude that really frustrates me.

Kristi

http://mail.yahoo.com