[RC] the horse can't out pull you - tying and rolling the dice - RHONDA LEVINSON

I really think it depends on the horse, Mike.  I have had one little mare who was terrified of being tied when I got her.  She was a wonderful mare, generous and kind and would just turn herself inside out trying to please.  But, for whatever reason, being tied TERRIFIED her.  Tying her up tight and rolling the dice would not have been a good choice for her.  For her, I put the lead through a fork in a tree, so when she pulled back, it gave her slack and she calmed down.  As she calmed down and became better about standing, I wedged the lead further down into the fork so it created more friction, until eventually she could be tied.

On the other hand, I had a mare who was sweet, but unutterably willful.  She would periodically just declare, "I WON'T," and she wouldn't.  She decided she wouldn't stand tied -- after four years of standing tied with no trouble.  She broke six or seven halters and at least that many leads.  She wasn't upset or panicked in any way.  She simply sat back until the halter or lead broke and then would walk off and graze.  For THAT mare, I bought a thin rope halter and lead made with rope climbing rope, with NO HARDWARE, tied her up and rolled the dice.

When I put that thin little halter on this mare, she was puffing and snorting and shaking her head.  She as much as flipped me off, she was so sure that she was OUT OF THERE the minute I finished tying the knot.  And the instant I stepped away, she sat back and started yanking back and forth.  That went on for a couple of minutes, and she finally stood up and went, "UGH," really loud.  She took a deep breath and sat back and starting yanking again, but for a much shorter time.  She stood up, shook her head, made a little tug to the right, a little tug to the left, sighed, and stood quietly.  All over in less than five minutes and she never pulled back again, UNLESS she was tied with a web halter.  Any time she was tied with a web halter, she would pull back.

Rhonda