[RC] Hard Headed Horses - Sharon Hahn

I agree with the comment about trying to figure out why the horse won't load.  My old, very reliable-loading mare once refused to load because I tried to save time by loading her while I was filling the water tank in the truck bed.  The running water noise freaked her out.  After I turned the hose off, she still wouldn't get in.  I had to move the trailer to a different spot in the yard so it wasn't "possessed" anymore.  Then she got right in.

I worry about using the "increase the pressure" techniques mentioned here on an unreliable loader.  I don't like getting into fights with "I don't wanna - make me" horses, because even if they learn YOU can make them, they usually start the battle all over with the next person.  I prefer the "OK, you don't want to get in?  That's fine.  Just stand there and look at the trailer for the rest of your life" method where you DON'T increase the pressure, just keep asking gently and bore the horse to death.  If THEY decide on their own to get in, it seems to stick with them better for the next lesson and pretty soon you don't have any trouble at all.  If I find myself switching techniques ("will you get in if I do this?  how about this?), I know I'm in trouble.

If truly desperate to get a horse somewhere, light sedation works nicely if you have a vet handy :)