[RC] scratches - Dawn Simas

Amigo had never gotten scratches in his life until we rode drag on the first 36 miles of Tevis in the high country.  As you said, the next morning, he had them on his pasterns and they were a scabby mess.  I was told that it is the alkali (or is it acidic?) nature of the dust on the trail up there.  The trail is pummelled into a fine powder on an endurance ride and when they sweat, it sticks to their legs.  And the skin has a reaction.  I was told to slather them in Desitin the next time, I have and it hasn't happened again.

Dawn