Re: [RC] Natural Balance shoes - Steph Teeter

Hi Nancy - here's my NB exerience. I have an older horse (16) who was starting to stumble more and more - both front and hinds. He used to go in NB (in the front), but we went to 'regular' several years ago when my NB farrier had to stop working. The horse also seemed to be getting sore in the hocks, constantly shifting his weight from left to right after a ride, and becoming sore in the loins too. He wasn't moving well at all - plus he's a horse that grows a lot of foot and his toes always seemed to be too long, both front and back. X-rays were ok - a little bone change, but nothing to really worry about. So I finally decided to go back to the NB, which meant switching farriers which is always a hard thing to do! We did NB on all 4's, hoping that easing the breakover would also help in the hind end . I did a short ride with him after his new shoes and he seemed great (not a single stumble) and then I did a long ride after he'd had the new shoes for a week. We did a 20 mile training ride (pretty fast) and I ended up walking him in the last 5 miles! He felt 'strange' when we started out - like he didn't know what to do with his feet. Not lame, not uneven, just strange - careful - stilted. At 15 miles he developed a cramp in the rear. He was fine after the walk home (though still moving 'carefully' on the lunge line) and fine the next day. I gave him a couple more days off and then went back to regular rides. He's absolutely perfect now - in fact it feels like I have my horse back! no more stumbling, no more hock or loin soreness. He feels better than he has in years.

To answer your question - I think the NB can significantly change a horse's way of going and it simply takes some getting used to. For my horse it changed his way of going quite a bit, especially in the hind. It was ultimately a change for the better, I have no doubt, but it took him a few weeks to adapt.

Steph

(from the airport in Taipai, waiting for the early morning flight to Kuala Lumpur)