[RC] Disappearing 100's, ROC and NC - Naomi Preston

First of all, I think a lot of us would agree, that AERC is doing a great job in it's NC.  I attended last year's NC (as crew) put on by John & Steph Teeter in Idaho, and I can tell you it was quite a bit reminiscent of my past ROC experiences.  In addition to the competition, there were speakers and seminars (John Crandall, Stagg Newman), vendors, stallion demos, great meals, and even dancing!  (The band didn't know "Wild Thing," so I couldn't sing.)  And it sounds like this year's NC is an awesome event, also.

My point in bringing up the past ROC's is not to denigrate AERC's NC's, but to maybe help you, Bruce, in your quest in how to get more riders interested in doing 100's.   In my earlier post I mentioned the "prizes" and "sponsors", but that was just the icing on the cake, and not the real "draw".   What drew riders to the ROC was the allure of an awesome, challenging trail in a beautiful area -- and drew them from all over the U.S. and Canada. (Places like Ennis, Montana in '91 that Ranelle mentioned -- base camp 6000 feet; Brianhead, Utah, Colorado, etc.)  And it was usually a place you could drag your husband/wife/family to without them kicking and screaming, since it would be more of a "vacation" than just an endurance ride.  And if ever "To Finish Is To Win" held true, just to FINISH the ROC was a proud accomplishment -- like the Tevis.  And then there was the Solo Division (Cavalry style), which had it's own allure.  No crews, no going to your trailer, just you and your horse.   I loved it....and if there's ever a Solo Division at a NC, count me in!

Another appealing aspect of the ROC was the camaraderie among riders it promoted.  Each area of the country (and Canada) had their own Team -- Northeast, Northwest, West, etc.  It brought competitors together from their regions, working toward a common goal.  Crews helped the entire Team on the trail, not just their individual riders.  So even if you didn't bring a crew, all of a sudden you had all the people from your region offering to help.   What a concept!!

And the ROC did vary from the 100 mile ride.......the ride in Montana was a 3-day ride (60, 60, 50).

Bottom line, the ROC was such an event, that it "drove" riders to ride 100 mile rides just to qualify.  I think the NC has started doing this.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride in the ROC, but I'm also REALLY  looking forward to doing the 2009 NC in California.  Solo Division, anyone??

Naomi Preston