[RC] NC and Race of Champions - Bruce Weary

Truman--

You have been around this sport for a long time. As such, you have experience to share, and RC is a good place to offer opinion and advice based on actual experience. But you impugn your credibility when you offer opinion on situations you don't or can't know anything about. Countless times here and on other forums you have denigrated the actions, opinions and motives of the Board and it's officers. Yet I know of no Board meeting that you have attended or any other way in which you could possibly know first hand what those actions, opinions or motives are. Same goes for your view about the NC and AERC's "tinkering." Have you attended an NC committee meeting recently, or ever? My position is that you are "making inferences from afar." Then you fashion your opinions and express them as though they are well founded and factual. It gives the impression that you are well informed and trying to influence others without really having done your homework. It's fine to attempt to sway others with our views, but it's intellectually dishonest to try to do it without ever getting up from the computer and personally checking out these issues in an earnest manner from those who are truly involved and in the know. The Board meetings are open to our members. Get on a plane and show up and see how it all really works. I'll buy your first cup of coffee.
I used to think that the NC ride was a watered down version of what the ROC used to represent. But with much dedication, innovation, and "tinkering," it is becoming quite an event it it's own right, this year's ride being a great example. Angie's coverage of the ride gives a good impression of the entire event. On the other hand, even with the ROC being as successful as it was, it's no secret that it wasn't always a solvent event, and many vets and other services hired for the ride went--unpaid. The AERC, on the other hand, always pays it's bills. Telling the whole story, the good with the bad, gives others a more complete perspective, and leads to better outcomes as we all "tinker" our way to better ways of doing things within AERC and with our horses.
We all want to appear knowledgeable and have our opinions taken seriously. Please, when you are offering your perspectives on how you conclude what the AERC, it's officers, the Board, or it's collective membership think, and what their motives are, inform yourself adequately so that you can give credible opinion, not just inflammatory inferences constructed from behind the safety of your keyboard. You'll find it much better received, and have more legitimate influence. Thank you. Bruce Weary