Re: [RC] Disappearing 100's & Race of Champions - Truman Prevatt

Naomi Preston wrote:
Just to echo what Cindy said about the Race of Champions. It's what got me to start doing 100's in the late 80's. I remember LOTS of riders doing 100's just so they could qualify for the ROC. And yes, I'm sure it cost a TON of money, but Susan was also great at getting BIG sponsors. Like a horse trailer as an award for 1st place (won by Becky & Rio). The entry fee wasn't cheap either......but people were willing to pay it, because it was a GREAT event. With the right marketing strategy and people, maybe AERC could replicate it someday. All it takes are some BIG sponsors!
Just my 2 cents worth!
Naomi Preston
www.TTeamforendurance.com <http://www.TTeamforendurance.com>
www.Renegades4endurance.com <http://www.Renegades4endurance.com>
In reality I think the ROC was what it was because the AERC had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was a one man or I should say woman ;-) show and she did a great job. I remember one year where Susan decided she had enough and the AERC did put on a similar ride, "AERC Classic" I think it was called and I believe it was in the mid 90's. It was from all accounts a disaster.

The AERC has shown the inability to establish something and then leave it alone. The NC is an event run by committee - where the desires and personalities of those on the committee are continuously modulating the event. The AERC just can't stand not to tinker. I have to quote Harry Truman here, "A horse is the most beautiful and graceful animal God blessed us by putting on this earth. On the other hand a camel is a horse designed by committee."

Truman

--

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” Friedrich Nietzsche