RE: [RC] AERC National Championship - Paul

Hey Angie,

While you are focusing on the headgear of the top horses, I am afraid most of my day will be spent looking at the other end of the horses as they pass us and disappear off into the distance.  Piper and I are planning to do the 100, but won't be challenging the leaders.

I hope they have a good Turtle Award for this ride. We have a real shot at it. We are just going to see the show, and be a part of the festivities. Do you need a roving reporter on trail to describe the dust in which they will leave us behind ?

As for possible winners, the Central Region is fielding a pretty strong group this year. I think there are two or three riders from the Central Region that could run towards the front. Then there are some local riders from that area who should maximize their home field advantage to be competitive. Of course by the time Piper and I are ready to head out on the last couple of loops, we should know who the winner is :-)

The trail there is a fun and pretty ride. It is sneaky hard, in that the hills are deceptively tough. It is no Tevis or OD, but it  will test you and your horse as a technical ride. If it rains hard, the mud will add a few more degrees of difficulty.  (this ground dries quickly, but gets slick and sticky in the rain). There will be some rocks. The riders who treat this as a flatland speed race may be in for a surprise. (not the good kind of surprise, but the "dang" kind of surprise)

There are supposed to be over 50 entries already in the 100, and over 100 entries in the 50. That should be quite a sight to see. There is still time to enter, if your horse and you are qualified.

Paul N. Sidio
Piper
Spokane MO