Re: [RC] WNV vaccinations - Sisu West Ranch

We were in MN when west Nile hit.  Because of the large 'sketer population there were a lot of animals dying.  Not pretty.  Raptors were falling from the sky at the site of the ride we managed.  Our treatment vet had 10 horses sick, and 4 or 5 in intensive care during the ride.

We were vaccinating our horses with the Fort Dodge vaccine (the only one at the time).  There were lots of scare stories that this vaccine caused multiple problems.  They were not substantiated to my satisfaction.

If we are comparing anecdotes, we have had two foals from vaccinated mares that are really great horses.  Perhaps, WNV causes good foals.

My bottom line:  Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875