Re: [RC] Newbie with a Concern - Quentin & Libby Llop

A flake is the amount of hay in the chamber of a baler when the plunger plunges. Which is determined by the thickness of the windrow and forward speed of the tractor and has no relation to the weight of the bale. It is really inconsistent from field to field or even within the same field.

Karen Standefer wrote:

How many pounds is that, Ranelle. Flakes are REALLY inconsistent in size across the country.

*From:* ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Ranelle Rubin
*Sent:* Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:13 AM
*To:* Janeene; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* RE: [RC] Newbie with a Concern

Janeene,

You are very right in your concern. IMO, alot of riders increase the physical activity of their horses without increasing the "groceries". I happen to be a fan of maintenance level high quality supplements, very little grain, and free choice good quality forage. My horses are easy keepers no matter how much work they get..every horse I have EVER been responsible for feeding has been this way.

The old "two flakes a day" just doesn't cut it with an endurance horse. Can you do this sport without supplements? Sure you can! Can you do it on alfalfa? Sure you can! Would I do this sport without supplements or on a straight alfalfa diet? NO WAY.

Here is what my horses get:

AM: 2 flakes 3-way grain hay..(Oat, Wheat, Barley)
PM: One flake grass hay, one flake grass/alfalfa

I don't weigh my hay, but these are large flakes out of 100+ lb bales of hay

Very small mash (about 6 c total after soaking): This is just the easiest way to get vitamins and a considerable amount of extra water into my horses.

Beet Pulp
PGR-Dynamite's Pelleted Grain Ration-1-2c. depending on physical activity that day.
1oz. maintenance level Dynamite vitamin
My actively racing horse also gets the joint supplement "Free and Easy"

I will happily email pictures of my "in good flesh" horses to anyone.

I have rescued horses who were underweight and put weight on safely, (while conditioning) too many times to listen to anyone tell me their horse is "just a hard keeper"!!!!

/Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne/

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant

http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx