RE: [RC] Newbie with a Concern - Ranelle Rubin

Janeene,

You are very right in your concern. IMO, alot of riders increase the physical activity of their horses without increasing the "groceries". I happen to be a fan of maintenance level high quality supplements, very little grain, and free choice good quality forage. My horses are easy keepers no matter how much work they get..every horse I have EVER been responsible for feeding has been this way.

The old "two flakes a day" just doesn't cut it with an endurance horse. Can you do this sport without supplements? Sure you can! Can you do it on alfalfa? Sure you can! Would I do this sport without supplements or on a straight alfalfa diet? NO WAY.

Here is what my horses get:

AM: 2 flakes 3-way grain hay..(Oat, Wheat, Barley)
PM: One flake grass hay, one flake grass/alfalfa

I don't weigh my hay, but these are large flakes out of 100+ lb bales of hay

Very small mash (about 6 c total after soaking): This is just the easiest way to get vitamins and a considerable amount of extra water into my horses.

Beet Pulp
PGR-Dynamite's Pelleted Grain Ration-1-2c. depending on physical activity that day.
1oz. maintenance level Dynamite vitamin
My actively racing horse also gets the joint supplement "Free and Easy"

I will happily email pictures of my "in good flesh" horses to anyone.

I have rescued horses who were underweight and put weight on safely, (while conditioning) too many times to listen to anyone tell me their horse is "just a hard keeper"!!!!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx