[RC] bring blankets, please! - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

 Hi folks,

For those of you planning to ride the Fire Mountain 25/50 this weekend---the forecast says we might escape rain, but it’s going to be COLD (by So Cal standards).  Down to 27 degrees overnight and won’t get up to fifty degrees during the day.  PLEASE bring plenty of warm blankets for your horse, even if your horse has his winter fuzz and you don’t normally blanket at home.  They’ll do better starting out with good, warm muscles in the morning, and hopefully not get chilled and crampy at the checks if you throw a good, warm blanket on them as soon as they come in---don’t worry, their pulse will recover just fine with a blanket on, heat loss is NOT going to be a big issue this weekend.

Every year we have to pull horses with bunchy, stiff muscles that would likely have been fine with a little different management.  Wouldn’t it be nice this year if we had zero treatments and a 100% completion rate? J

Please remember that after your horse drinks a lot of freezing cold water, blood flow to the stomach changes for awhile until the water has had a chance to warm up.  Don’t limit the water your horse wants to drink, but please consider that some blood flow will be temporarily be shunted away from muscles, so don’t go pelting away from water stops full bore.  Five or ten minutes of walking after a drink is a good way to increase your chances of doing well without problems.

See you Friday!

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM