[RC] Laura's back pain - Bruce Weary DC

  Hi Laura--
 You ask many good questions. I will take the liberty of answering on
RC so that others here might benefit. This could get long, so I
apologize.  Most back pain is mechanical. That means that the skeleton
is basically a complicated "linkage" of several hundred joints, held
together with ligaments, and moved by muscle, and controlled by the
nervous system. When the skeleton takes a blow, like coming off a
speeding horse, there are mechanisms in the nervous system that cause
joints and their neighboring tissues to tighten, spasm, jam, and
basically become immobile. This is a protective mechanism for overused
or injured parts, and happens form normal daily activity, too.
Unfortunately, after the "healing" of the soft tissues has occurred, the
remaining "jammed joints" have no way to recover without help.
Stretching and exercise are usually ineffective in this stage, as you
found out, since the jammed joints can't participate. In this stage, you
will have pain and problems associated with the inability to move
certain parts--turning your head to check traffic, sitting or lying
comfortably, and performing the many movements that each day demands.
This condition will become chronic if not treated properly, and months
and years down the road, there is another price to pay--increasing
chronic pain and disability, as well as greater incidence of arthritis
or "wear and tear" in the affected body part or spinal region.
Manipulation is the treatment of choice in this stage, as no other
treatment or remedy has the same effect. Your testimonial is a good
example, in that you didn't really improve until you had manipulation
done. It's really just a matter of knowing when to intervene with each
type of treatment. There is a time for meds, a time for PT, a time for
exercise, etc.,. The tricky thing is that if any of these, including
manipulation, is used improperly or at the wrong time, they may be
ineffective, or even cause further problems. I'm here to tell you, Time
does *not* heal all things. Mother Nature, along with timely and
intelligently guided treatment (usually with multiple approaches) can do
some pretty amazing things, and do them routinely.
  The pain you are describing is not well managed with meds ( as you
now know).Treating pain with meds only, is like snipping the wires to a
fire alarm. The bell quits ringing, but the fire rages on.  Your pain on
lying down was from the skeleton not being loosened enough to accomadate
the surface you were lying on. The muscles are told what to do, and do
not have a mind of their own. Since the joints that the muscles serve
are still in trouble, the muscles are told to continue to malfunction in
an attempt to support the area. This leads to chronic soft tissue pain,
trigger points, myofascial scarring, congestion, and muscle shortening,
and the vicious cycle continues. It sounds like you are on the path to
recovery. I wouldn't be afraid of riding. If the pain returns, it likely
won't be as bad since your chiro has already done some corrective work.
You probably require some more treatment, and I would recommend getting
with a PT afterward for a strengthening and stabilization program, which
will help you stay well longer, and absorb more daily activity without
re-flaring. We recently opened a full PT facility, and it has been a joy
to see how much more can be done for my patients by a PT after I have
done all that I can do. It is a terrific inter-professional way of
addressing patient's problem more completely.
 That's all for now. I can comment on Donna's issues, if there is
interest. There's a lot to be learned from her experiences.   Good
luck.  Dr Q