RE: [RC] Cricket's Horse - heidi

i know ten pounds seems like a  lot, however, it is the right amount for a
growing horse. once they get older, they only need like 5 lbs a day, with
hay. i talked to my vet friday about what they eat, and he said they look
good, and not to change things feedwise.
  these babies came in a little underwieght, and are still 5 weeks later, not
an ounce underweight. what they have done however, is grow up, instead of
out, and  i'm beggining to think they're both going to be tall boys. one is a
quarab, the other straight arab.

Unless your vet has pursued some good continuing education in nutrition, I'd
suggest talking to someone who has.  Arabian youngsters in particular are
notorious for not needing the extra supplementation, and all too often, all it
does is push the growth causing various problems ranging from OCD to
epiphysitis to (yep) high-low syndrome.  Ten pounds is excessive for ANY
youngster, let alone an Arab and a part-Arab.

We are blessed here with good hay, so the ONLY supplementation our youngsters
get is selenium.  Period.  They grow up healthy and in good weight on a 100%
forage diet--top quality grass hay with some added alfalfa.  Our lactating
mares likewise stay in good weight on good pasture, with hay added in the fall
when the quality of the pasture diminishes.

Heidi