[RC] club feet - karen parker

   Hi Everyone, I was a professional farrier for over 35 years and used to do a lot of large farm trimming. Club feet or foot structure is heriditary in a lot of cases. I shod for a quarter horse ranch that all the foals born there had club feet when foaled and most were severe enough to require surgery early. They finally did a hay analysis which showed the hay had very high levels of copper. They changed the hay and the problem went away.
  My experience with club footed horses is that they tend to get ringbone and sidebones frequently. However a lot of them stay sound despite the club foot. Karen Parker