Re: [RC] permission to ride on private property - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Hold Harmless only works "if" the property owner can not be found negligent!  Unfortunately, as many of us know, whom have operated public facilities, per our insurance agents, there are too many variables for the 'property owner (read deep pockets)' to be held liable.  Therefore, few and far between are going to feel completely comfortable even with a 'hold harmless clause' in place.  The flip side of the issue would be the property owner not wanting to feel bad, even if it isn't their fault, if someone or an animal was hurt on their property.

Truman, tell me if I am wrong here.  Florida has a limit of liability that you can sue any one property owner.  I saw the statute posted at Everglade Equestrian Center in Micanopy, FL, the last time that I was out there.  I don't know if that is any longer the case.  Then there is the German 'limit of liability', used to be the maximum one person could sue for damages of any kind would be $7500.00 (1985).   I don't know if that still holds true.  I would truly like to see a limit of liability law enacted in this State!  Point being - if anyone truly wants to make a difference, in the State of California, get behind a bill that has a 'limit of liability' that anyone person can sue a property owner for.  Then perhaps we would not be trying to find 'creative' ways to help property owners overcome some of the fear, they might have, allowing riders on their land.  Anyone ready, willing, and able to write a Bill to go into the State Hooper?

D'Arcy