[RC] "different" training technique - trailer unloading - sherman

Having a horse that wouldn’t back from the trailer when asked, I can say that just telling them “back, back, back, step” will not work in every situation. It doesn’t matter how low the step is (or if there is a step off) if they won’t take the steps backwards to reach that point. I worked for months to get one of my horses to back safely. I would “drive” her backwards with long lines on each side and she’d slowly go backwards, sometimes spinning halfway thru and jumping out. In she’d go again, then I’d try to back her out again. After a success, we’d stop the lesson ‘til next time and the entire process would start again. She finally “got it” after about 6 months of this and is now consistently backing out without any rope aids. This is a horse that responds quickly to voice commands when not in the trailer, backs when I walk up to her and tell her, stops when told whoa without even touching the reins. She just had a “hang up” about backing out of the trailer.

Kathy

April wrote:

Ok, I can't stand it. Out of lurk again.

As silly as I sound, I back my horses out of the trailer by saying, "back, back, back, back,..STEP"

They back one step for each time I say and when I say STEP they know it is the edge and step out and down. They back smooth, as fast or slow as I say, and are very relaxed with no worries about where the edge is. They know I will tell them and they trust me.

I trained this by parking the trailer wheels in a ditch so they can practically walk in and back out with only a few inches drop. We go forwards front feet in the trailer, then back out, all the way in, back out, over and over again. "back, back, back, back, STEP" . Then  reposition the trailer or use those cement blocks, the kinda flat ones, to raise the trailer  a couple inches, then do it again. Raise the trailer, do it again.  Over and over again until the trailer is full height. I do this over several days, working each height level until the horse backs and steps down smoothly at that height. Some times it talkes 7 or 8 times at a level, sometimes 2 or 3. It only takes 10 minutes or so at a time though. I wind up with a horse that waits until I say "back," backs at the speed I want, and trusts me and is perfectly comfortable with getting in and out of the trailer, no stress about it, and doesn't bump and slip and drop getting down. They KNOW when it is the edge and step down accordingly.  My boys load like a beagle going hunting. The only problem I have is if somebody is grazing in the yard while I am practicing the trailer with another horse, they want to come get in and out too.

april