[RC] The Tom Quilty Gold Cup.... part 3 - Jay Randle

Splendacrest welcomes riders from all over the world, and this year we will be joined by 4 Japanese riders for the Quilty.  All of these riders have been here in the past, and have ridden with our team over the past 3 years or so.  Mr Yukinobi Horiuchi will be competing on Pinfeather, an Australian Stockhorse/Arab cross gelding, 15.2hh, 14 years old.  Pinfeather is owned by a great friend of mine, Alwyn Torrenbeek, who at 72 years of age will also be riding the Quilty for the 15th time!

Miss Satomi Kitamura will be riding Mt Eerwah Silver Mariner, aka "Pete", an 11 year old grey purebred Arabian gelding, 15.1hh.  Pete has 3 fused vertebrae in his neck as a result of an accident as a yearling, and can't turn his head around to look at you as most horses will.  However Pete has a heart as big as Texas, and is a real gentleman to ride.  I have trained Pete for several years now, but only recently purchased him when the opportunity became available.  He is a true gem among horses, and we all love him very much.

Mr Takeshi Ito will be riding Splendacrest Perfection, a bay 8 year old Anglo Arabian (Thoroughbred/Arab cross) gelding, 15.2hh.  Perfection is truly remarkable, with a great laid-back attitude.  Takeshi came to Australia in March 2007 and rode Perfection in his first ever 80km ride, and fell in love with him!  He then returned to Australia in August 2007 and rode Perfection in his first ever 160km ride, completing successfully.  In order to prepare for the Quilty, Takeshi returned in May this year for another 80km and in early August for a 100km ride, both on Perfection!  And now he gets to ride his favourite horse in the Quilty next week.  They make a beautiful pair.

Mrs Riyo Noyori will be riding her own horse, Bulgari Bentley, an 8 year old bay Arabian gelding, 14.3hh.  This is Bentley's third season of competition, and his story is a very sad and interesting one.  Bentley was bred and owned by a lovely man, Michael Gabriel, who rode him in 2006 and early 2007 before being diagnosed with a brain tumour.  Unfortunately, Mike died early this year, and sweet Bentley was looking for a good home, so I took him on and prepared him for Riyo to try out.  She came to Australia last month and rode him in an 80km ride, loved him, and bought him!  Bentley will remain here at Splendacrest, and Riyo intends to come here 3 or 4 times a year to compete on him.

And we are VERY pleased to welcome a couple of our American friends to the Splendacrest camp!   Kim Fuess was extremely welcoming to myself and my friends who accompanied me to the USA in February this year, and I am so excited that she is coming over to ride the 2008 Tom Quilty!  Kim will be riding Lilonda Count Richael, aka "Ricky", a 16 year old bay Arabian gelding, 15.1hh.  Ricky is a favourite here at Splendacrest, and is a real character!  He has completed 4 previous 160km rides, including the South Australian Quilty in 2004.  This is Ricky's 7th competition season, and he never lets us down.  I am sure that Kim will end up loving him as much as we all do.

Charisse Glen is also coming to join us, and she will be riding Bacchante Silver Lace, aka "Quartz" an 8 year old grey Arabian mare, 15.1hh.   Quartz is a lovely mare, with a never say die attitude.  I bought Quartz 10 days before she foaled, and I now have a beautiful 4 year old filly out of her to carry on her lovely nature.

I will also be taking a 'spare' horse along, just in case, *fingers crossed*.   Aratahnes Galaxy, aka "Chevy", is a 13 year old chestnut Quarab gelding, 15.3hh.  Chevy is very easy to ride, and will be a great 'back-up' horse for everyone!  He has been an institution here at Splendacrest for 7 years, and has taught many youngsters to ride along with providing many great completions for his riders.  His job is to look and feel good and to provide me with a 'safety net' if I need one!!  :-)

Can you feel how excited I am?  I'm really looking forward to a great week, and I know that all my riders and guests will have a wonderful time at the 2008 Tom Quilty Gold Cup ride in Nanango, Queensland!

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest

"If you want control, get a remote!"

Sell your car for just $40 at CarPoint.com.au It's simple!