Re: [RC] unloading to fast!! - desertrydr1

I've always gone into the trailer with my horse (or mule) as necessary, and also let them turn around and go out forward in my 2H Slant.  I teach them to back out, but for all the reasons mentioned, such as legs slipping under the edge, etc., I think I'd rather have them come out going forward.

All of my horses load well in my 2H Slant, I've always thought it was because the inside was white and it didn't look like a cave.  I just love loading my old Arab mare, because she will always go in, and knows how to back around corners.

One tip I have is to leave the leadrope attached, and swing it over to the side of the horse that will have the outside bend, then encourage them to bend by laying the rope along their side and along their haunch to put pressure on the outside butt cheek.  That seems about as clear as mud when I write it, so I'll try another way.

The horse is facing to the left as you look at the back of the trailer, so you want the leadrope along their right side.  Without pulling on the head too much, which will get the horse out of the alignment you need, you want to pull straight back, and lay the line into the horse's right butt cheek, about the level of the stiufle.  They should want to move backwards, because the pull is on their head, and also they should want to swing their butt to the left, thus going around the corner.  If that still isn't clear, let me know.  jeri