Re: [RC] unloading to fast!! - heidi larson

I can help!!  My horse Ash did the same thing, backing out so fast that if you
were holding his rope, he'd rip it through your hands!  Very dangerous and I
wasn't sure how to fix it, however, I came up wtih this and it worked most
excellently!  (If I do say so myself!)  I had someone shut the door with me in
the trailer with him, then I'd open the slant divider and untie, he'd back and
hit his butt on the door, look at me weird and just stand there or try to keep
backing again and once more hit the door.  It took about 15 times of someone
shutting me in with the door latched and then I noticed he'd start to just
stand without doing the "back up before thinking".  Once he stands nicely, or
even comes forward with a small tug, then I'd have the person outside open the
door for me and then I'd ask him with a small touch to the chest to start
backing.  A couple of times I'd also mix it up and turn him and let him come
out forwards.  I never really unload
this way and prefer backing out, but changing it up confused him and "so far"
he's never sure what I'm going to ask and he's been so really good about
waiting now for me to ask him to back out first.  The rushing out seems to be
cured!  (Yes, I know, I get in with him and some people don't do that, it's
just what works for us!)

.      o o          o o
    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
       o  o    o-- /