[RC] gaited "endurance" race - arachne

 I just got off the phone with Rick and I think they are on to
something.
They are starting their own organization of gaited endurance horse
rides.
Rick has done his home work and wants to breed gaited horses that can go
the
distance in endurance. They may have some bumps in the road, but they
are on
the right track. let's all keep an open mind here and help them out.
Micki

I have permission to post this from Ramy. It is a well thought out,
succinct reply  to the heated debate (on the gaited endurance lists) about
this 5.7 mile "endurance" race put on by Rick Mullins.  If you care about
endurance, please take the time to read her post copied from the
gaiteddistance site. Thank you!
Terri in Northern Ca.
who just finished five days of real endurance at Bryce Canyon and is
second in the nation in mileage riding a gaited horse.

First off, I am an AERC member, a veterinarian, and a gaited horse owner.
I am
sending this email to multiple people I feel have a need to know.  This is in
reference to Rick and Kimra Mullins of Clintwood, Virginia.  They have an
event
scheduled for September 27, 2008 at their farm.  They are calling this
event an
Endurance Race.  They are supposedly trying to develop a breed registry
for gaited
endurance horses.  See this website:
http://www.endurancehorse.org/contact.html
In promoting their event, they posted to an email group to which I belong,
see this
link:
If you are not a member, please join and read the related messages in the
archives.
This is a group of people who ride gaited horses and participate in
endurance rides
with them.  There are many concerns about this event, which have been brought
forward in discussions on this list.  The Mullins have refused to address
these
issues.
In brief:
They are holding a race with money going to the winner.  This race will
cover 5.7
miles (that's right, less than 6 miles) over what they describe as rough
terrain.
And they insist on calling it an endurance race in spite of the objections
of many
people.  They are allowing horses under 4 years of age to participate.
These people have no association with AERC and have never participated in
an AERC
event.  They have demonstrated total disregard for AERC from what I have
seen.
If they have something happen to horses at this ride, they are likely to
bring down
the attention (read: wrath) of the animal rights people upon the sport of
endurance
in general.  As we all know, this is because the general public will not
differentiate between an AERC sanctioned event and any other event labeled an
endurance event.
This email is an attempt to bring this to someone's attention who can and
will do
something to prevent the possible disaster.
I want to state, though it should be evident, I am embarrassed, as a
gaited horse
owner, to be thus associated with these people.  There are many of us in
AERC riding
gaited horses and competing very happily in endurance.  These people seem
to think
the sport needs to be made easier so the gaited horses can do it.  That is
not so.
In the rest of my email, you will see my Rick's words in blue and my
Rick's email in black.

Rick Mullins wrote, in his last post to the gaited endurance riders list,
after many
emails detailing to him the dangers of what he is doing:
"I appreciate everyone's phone calls and it has been very positive. We
look forward
to working with everyone and becoming friends and learning from one
another. I
beleive that with all our common desires we can
produce even greater horses and greater endurance rides. I think it is
very important to create these rides with local chamber of
commerces,governmen t officials and market to the sector of people who
are borderline,show. trail,etc. Together we can make a large impact."

Rick and Kimra,
The above email from Rick seems to indicate that you have no respect or
appreciation
for the sport of endurance.  You don't go into a sport you do not
understand (as you
do not understand endurance, you have never even ridden in an endurance
ride) and
create "greater endurance rides".

Let's break this down:
"We look forward to working with everyone and becoming friends and learning
from one another."
We have tried and tried to explain to you why what you are doing is
dangerous to the
horses and the sport of endurance and you have totally refused to
acknowledge our
concerns.  That is no way to make friends.  And if you think anyone in
endurance has
anything to learn from you other than what a mess you can make, you are
gravely
mistaken.

"I beleive that with all our common desires we can
produce even greater horses and greater endurance rides"
There have been people striving to produce better gaited horses for
endurance for
many years, your idea is nothing new.  And those people are actually
involved in the
sport of endurance, which you obviously know nothing about.

"I think it is very important to create these rides with local chamber of
commerces,governmen t officials and market to the sector of people who
are borderline,show. trail,etc. "
And what about the AERC, the official governing body of the sport of
endurance?  The
people who have been doing the RESEARCH (which you have repeatedly claimed
to be so
important) about how to keep horses safe in the sport?  Oh, that's right,
you have
no interest in research about keeping horses safe, only in how to make
them perform
better.
I don't think any of the people you mentioned above would know the first
thing about
metabolic problems in the endurance horse, how to prevent them, or how to
treat them
when they occur.
And why do we need to "market" to show people?  If they were interested in
endurance, they would get involved.  This is not the type of thing you
market.
Horse people know it exists, but it is not for everyone.  And the last
thing that
needs to be done is to "dumb down" the sport and make it easy so everyone
can do it.
That totally defeats the purpose of endurance.  If it is not a test of
horse and
rider, it is not endurance.  If you want to hold trail rides, then go for
it.  If
you want to get involved in competitive trail, go for it.
You are trying to create something that already exists.  At the same time,
you are
bastardizing a wonderful sport by calling your event any type of endurance
event.

"Together we can make a large impact."
Yes, Rick and Kimra, I am very very afraid you will make a big impact,
just not the
type you expect.  If you hold this "race" and insist on calling it an
endurance
event, you could singlehandedly destroy the sport of endurance.  If you
have horses
get hurt, as they did at the "race" in Oklahoma, you could bring the
animal rights
people down on our sport in droves.
I see no possible way, from the things you have said, that you can make a
positive
impact on endurance.  You have total disregard for those who do know what
they are
doing and all those who have gone before us in developing the sport as we
know it
today.

Thank you
Ramy Jisha DVM