[RC] Santa Fe Fun - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

We are in Clayton NM tonight after three days of great trail.  I missed it, but more on that later.  The trail on the first two days was, from all accounts, SPECTACULAR.  Tennessee Lane from CO, who has family here, marked 100 miles of private land through canyons and over some beautiful country that has not been seen by very many people.  The trail crossed the Canadian River (I hope that is right) and passed by some super cool ruins.  The riders went out this morning in a very bad wind storm - at least 40-60 mph winds that had been raging all night.  Attrition has been steep (as I am painfully aware...) and I didn't count, but I think only about 8 or 10 went out.  Helen Lynn, Margie Burton, George Price, Mike Urshall, the Aussie, Charlie Gucci (?) a new rider named Becky, Tonya Bear and a few others---Helen, Margie and George are still on the same horses.  George is a three day rider and the other two are going all the way.  BTW, many of the thr ee day riders (I am thinking all but George) have pulled.

So my own story is that Mo pulled a shoulder muscle complete with swelling and blood clot.  I believe it happened sometime in the first 20 miles when she stepped on an easy boot and tripped--though it did not seem like a big deal at the time.  At the check at 23 miles she was short on that front leg, and the tear in her mucle was evident.  She was 98% better last night, and with today off and tomorrow being a rest day, I am still hoping to do days four through 10.

I have reserved a room at a motel tonight since the horses are safe in stalls at a fairgrounds and tomorrow is a non race day --who hoo, busman's holiday--so I am in the lobby and have to hurry.  More later.

Laura Hayes