[RC] Future of Olympic equestrian sport under threat - k s swigart

D'arcy said:

Fascinating article!  I sense a world wide push for every
equine rider / supporter to invade the UK in show of that
support.  As a matter of fact I am going to be there!   And
maybe we can all put our money where our mouth is!

Count me out.  I would like the horse sports to be removed from the
Olympics.  I only wish they had done it sooner--i.e. before the FEI
dumbed down eventing in an effort to keep it in...here's to hoping that
it isn't too late for a return to the long format in eventing if the
International Olympic Committee and the Olympic host cities don't have
any say in it.

Certainly, the Kentucky Horse Park has adequate facilities to run a true
three day event for the WEG.  Maybe if a nail were driven into the
coffin of Olympic horse sports, we could go back to doing eventing
right???

Probably not, but I can hope.

However, the IOC is right to remove horse sports from the olympics.

There are the horse quarantine issues: holding this year's olympic
events in Hong Kong was just damned silly, making exceptions to the
quarantine rules for Sydney and Atlanta so they could be held there
was...imprudent, and expensive, I might add.

Unlike other Olympic sports, horse sports are not a human athletic
endeavour (which is why they can be won by old ladies) it is the horse
who is the athlete.

Dressage for the uninitiated is about as comprehensible as Sanskrit.
Eventing is counted as a good day if nobody (either horse or rider) is
seriously injured or killed.  And show jumping is riddled with drugged
horses.

Horse sports in the Olympics made some sense when the Olympics was, in
essence, mock military trials AND there was such a thing as a mounted
cavalry.  However, the Olympics is no longer a mock military trial, and
even if it were, the mounted cavarly has gone the way of the dodo so it
would make more sense to have mock competitive dog fights in fighter
jets.

I cast my vote...by all means, take the horse sports out of the
Olympics.  Especially since you can see more and better horsemen at the
World Cup (where all the best riders are invited, not just a limited
number from each country).

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)