[RC] Free horses - Sara Gooch

Apparently there is a herd of Polish Arabs in the Sacramento area being offered "free to good homes."    A case of elderly owners who can no longer care for them.  I got the message about third hand, but many details are in the message below, copied from a barefoot trimmer, "Sally" who traveled to Sacramento and looked at the horses.  I don't know "Sally"  or anyone else involved.  Sounds like they might be nice horses.
Sara

From Sally:
OK, I went down to see the horses yesterday with a
friend. They are  located in Rio Lindo, which is north of Sacramento,
near the airport.

Bob and his wife Kay are wonderful, caring people and
it's obvious how much these horses are loved. Due to Kay's
illness, however, not much has been done with them beyond their basic needs
of feed and water. Bob has done his best to care for the horses,
but it is overwhelming both financially and physically. The
horses are healthy and in good weight.

The quality of the entire herd is outstanding and
very consistent. Looking at these horses from a hoof trimmers
perspective, all have correct, straight legs, substantial bone and excellent
feet. Most are sired by *Dalipan 157475 or *Gedymin 157474 which
were imported by Kay. There are two bay stallions, the rest are greys.
No chestnuts. The mares are all bay or grey. Height of the horses
range from approx. 14.3 - 15.1 h. Most look right at 15h

I have the list of mares and stallions with the
registration info.Several of the young stallions are registration
pending. There is one nice grey gelding, age 13, that I would imagine is
broke to ride. I also saw an outstanding 12 year old stallion that I
was told has dressage training and had some endurance conditioning
for Tevis at one time.

Several of the stallions live together with no apparent problems.

The young horses are yearlings and 2 year olds. All very nice, but
not halter broke. One yearling filly is to die for.The colts are
very well built with plenty of substance. I took a lot of photos, but
right now I'm having problems with a very slow internet connection so
I'm not even going to try to post them. Two mares are due to foal
soon (bagging up and look huge). All of the horses
look quite healthy, some of the feet are in dire need of hoof
work, but most are fine. I saw nothing that couldn't be fixed with a
good trim. No signs of founder or laminitis.

All of the horses, including the stallions, have calm, friendly
dispositions. They come right up to be petted and seem to love
attention, so halter training the youngsters shouldn't be a problem
for an experienced person. I met a neighbor who has started working
with some of them in an effort to help get these youngsters into good
homes.

The young colts are all intact - I only saw one gelding on the
property. He was a lovely, well balanced grey that I believe is broke
to ride. He is 13 years old. I started putting the photos into a pdf, which I'll
try to post later tonight or tomorrow. Since we were simply walking
around in the herd, I wasn't able to get a picture of every single horse,
but when you  see the photos you'll have a good idea of what the
mares and offspring look like - they are all superior quality
animals.

The yearling/2 year olds are of undetermined
parentage, due to some unplanned breedings. They could probably be sorted
out and registered with a little effort and dna/blood testing, but I am
no expert about that.

Anyone who is interested in these horses should
e-mail Kay at   kaydavis7727@ sbcglobal. net

Sally