Re: [RC] another question on starving horses - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Just to put to bed your worries about whether they can go on to compete...I stayed hushed so far, but this one warrants it.

Just look up the record of Cash Bonus on the AERC site.  That boy was a starved 8 year old stallion that wasn't broke.  He was one trailer ride from the slaughter house. No mane or tail, all had been chewed off by the starving pasture mates. He passed huge wads of tail hair himself.  He did his first ride only 6 months aftering being rescued.  He is the best horse I will ever own.  Now look up The Boogie Man, he is another one that is just getting started.  Again, 8 year old starved stallion, unbroke.  He did his first ride one year after being rescued.  Booger had been released on a hunting preserve when the folks that had thought that they were going to get caught with him.  Some hunters found him, and he was saved,  the other 26 horses in his herd weren't so lucky, at least half starved to death, or were shot.

One thing about rescue ponies....they are TOUGH...because they had to be to live.  And both of these will be competing in the National Championship ride in Oct.  Each one cost me only $150 a piece.

My new motto:   Save a horse....Ride a rescue.

Jody