Re: [RC] what to feed starving horses? - Carla Richardson

Actually, a beet pulp mash may be all the older mare can eat.  I know of a 30 year old horse that lives entirely on beet pulp mash because his teeth are so far gone that he can't chew.  So he lives, quite comfortably and with good flesh, with his owner feeding him beet pulp mashes twice a day.  So, yes, it can be done.  You'll have to decide if that's really the best thing for this mare, she'll tell you and you're obviously listening to her.  Have the vet check her teeth and mouth.  A Samtyr daughter, that's an excellent Polish Arabian sire.

I'd turn them out on pasture after de-worming and having the vet check their teeth.  You're probably going to have to continue with beet pulp mashes for the older mare, if she's going to survive.  What part of the country do you live in?  If you have cold winters, you need to get as much flesh on those horses as you can, to withstand the winter unless you live in the southern part of the country.  You can also put a turnout rug on the oldest mare to help her conserve calories once it gets windy and cold.  She's going to need extra help.

Yes, they can come back, especially the younger ones, to full use.  It will take a long time and a lot of grass and top quality hay.  I'd stick with hay, and grass pasture, and beet pulp and not load them up with any grain.  A good pelleted feed like Strategy, once they get more used to getting some feed, would be good for the younger ones, I think.  The thing that bothers me the most is that weakness the 10 yr old is exhibiting.  I know what you mean about the backbone showing -- it's awful the way it sticks up.  But, that will fill in fairly quickly with calories!

Carla Richardson
Colorado