Re: [RC] what to feed starving horses? - Chris A

Hi bless you for doing this.

I've rehabbed several starving horses. It just breaks your heart to see them at first, but it feels wonderful when they come back.

Yes, beet pulp mash is fine, add some senior feed to it for a nutritional boost. Give the old mare the beet pulp/senior mash a couple times a day.

They will regain their muscle tone in time. It's hard to imagine it now, but they will look totally different.

the one with the fallin down rear end concerns me. I'd have a vet check that one over. It might be EPM or any number of neuro problems.

I'd also start these guys on a handful or two of black oil sunflower seeds. horses LOVE them. they are chock full of vitamins and essential oils, lots of Vit E that is good for their skin, coats and nervous systems.

You will want to deworm them, but do it slowly. I do it in half doses a week apart.. starting with a wormer such as Panacur or Safeguard. Half doses because you don't want to flood their systms with dead worms and cause an impaction colic.

email me if you want more info. I'd be glad to help you with what I've learned about this....

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” John Lennon
"If you see it in your mind, you're going to hold it in your hand," Bob Proctor.

Chris
Skype: Chris A
From the Horse's Mouth:  http://horsesmouth1ac.com
Animal Communication