[RC] Ponying a horse - Michael Maul

There have been several follow-up questions to my post on ponying a horse during an AERC sanctioned ride.

The original question which I answered was:

Is it OK to pony a horse to give it exposure and conditioning while you are competing on another horse in a sanctioned ride?

Here is an example of why it is against the rules. I personally have two horses that I like to condition together. I often pony one so I can reduce the time I spend conditioning. Almost always they compete against each other and the pace is faster than if I am riding either alone.

If you were able to do this is a sanctioned ride, you may be maintain a pace that you could not do w/o the extra horse. This is pacing or hazing and is against the rules.

"k. Not having been paced or prompted by an un-entered, withdrawn, or otherwise unauthorized equine"

Horse cannot be entered in the ride without a rider and you can only ride one horse during a distance.

The question of ponying another rider's horse in a ride was raised and various reasons for doing it were suggested.

There are a few cases where it would be considered reasonable and I've done this. A loose horse came trotting up behind me on the trail. The rider was nowhere in sight so I ponyied the horse back the trail until I met the rider who had been dumped. It's also reasonable to pony the horse of an injured rider to a point where they can be picked up.

I'm just guessing but when an extremely young rider a few years ago - such as the 3 or 4 year old who did a 50 and then a year later did a 100, it's possible that there were times this horse was led by the sponsor.

While I'm not an expert on the rules and this view is not an official one, I believe this is against the rules. An entered horse should be under the control of the rider which is not the case for a ponyied horse.

For AERC to act in a case like this - someone would have to file a protest for the P&G committee to make a decision. It's unlikely that anyone would protest in this case or the other cases mentioned.

Mike