Re: [RC] Olympic Doping - Truman Prevatt

Barbara McCrary wrote:
I heard this on the radio, too. Capsaicin is nothing more than extract of red pepper, which heats up the skin. You can buy arthritis balm that has capsaicin in it and it turns hot on the skin and I suppose the heat penetrates into the joint, muscle or whatever. I once bought some "foot warmer" to put on while riding an XP ride in Utah in April. Brrrrr! It had capsaicin in it and it overheated my feet and hurt. I have very sensitive skin, so it was an overkill.
To describe capsaicin as "improving performance" is perhaps a bit extreme, but since stimulating drugs are banned in FEI (I think), even capsaicin would not be acceptable. The point I'm trying to make is that it is not an internal drug, but an external stimulator. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.
Barbara
Exactly right Barbara it is extract from chili peppers. A quote from the article as to why it is illegal in jumping.

"What's especially odd about these suspensions is that all four horses tested positive for the same banned substance: capsaicin, which is the ingredient that gives chili peppers their heat. It's prohibited in FEI competition because it can make a horse's skin ultra-sensitive (which, in jumping, presumably could make him extra-loath to touch an obstacle) and because it also has pain-relieving properties."

Truman

--

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” Friedrich Nietzsche