Re: [RC] ponying and other rules - Quentin & Libby Llop

With the current rules it strikes me that you could take 2 horses to one of the faster 50s, that has all of it's vet checks in camp, do loop 1 on horse A, hand it to your crew and head out on loop 1 with horse B. When you get back to camp horse A will have overstayed his hold by a half hour or so and be ready to gallop loop 2. You wouldn't even have to come in conservatively because it wouldn't matter if the horse took a while to pulse down. Two things prevent me from doing this: 1) I don't have that kind (or usually any kind) of crew. 2) I'm not sure I would enjoy galloping 100 miles with no rests at all. Libby

Marinera@xxxxxxx wrote:
Sometime in the 70s there was a 100 miler starting at midnight and a 50 miler
starting at 6 or 7 a.m. the same day just a few miles apart. Much of the two rides was on the same trail. I decided I could do both. I started at midnight, rode the first horse 50 miles and handed him to a friend. I went to the other ride site, made it in time,_ _and rode Gazal fifty miles. I then returned to the first now well rested horse and continued on the 100 miler. It was all rather ill fated. The first horse was a terrible spooker and had dumped me twice in the dark in the early morning. When I returned to him the other 100 milers were now well ahead of me and I was out there alone with people complaining that I was holding up the vet stops. He (his name was Comet) dumped me again and I quit.

Because we were a new organization, we had few rules and I had not broken any. I apparently was the only one who recognized the possibility of doing two rides in one 24 hour period, or perhaps the others were less demented than I. Now you cannot have two rides on the same day in more or less the same location and I am sure there are other rules that apply also. But I wish now I had accomplished my goal. I know I could have done it if I had just managed to stay aboard the horse.
Julie

************** It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here. (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)