Re: [RC] Foal help - heidi larson

I can't remember the exact age I weaned my colt, but it was on the early (5
months) side and it seemed rather easy actually.  I have 3 other geldings and
was leasing the mare, he was kind of a pesty baby and mom did get a little
tired of him always wanting to play, however she also was not a good
diciplinarian and so I didn't want him to learn to be too bratty, also, I
didn't really like her and couldn't wait for her to go back to her own house.
(My geldings started fighting over her once she came back into heat.)  I
started at about 3 months putting the old "uncle" gelding out with mom and colt
and when that went well, I noticed he was grazing some and eating some of her
hay at night, I gave them both a bit of mare and foal feed w/beet pulp every
evening and then when he was about 4 months old I split her double stall into
two 12' x 12' stalls with colt next to mom, with a pipe run for both of them.
At night they were separated and during the day they
got to be together, slowly stretching the separation out to encompass more
than 12 hours at a time.  He would try to nurse through the pipe occasionally.
Then I introduced the other old gelding and that kept baby busy being around
the next uncle.  By the time he was about 5 months old, he was only nursing a
couple times per day and mom was getting annoyed at him being so pesty. I seem
to recall that the day mom left, I put all the horses in their stalls/runs with
some feed/hay and loaded mom up while everyone was eating and drove off.  He
never really seemed to miss her.  It was my first (and likely only) foal and
maybe because he was the first, it seemed pretty easy and non-stressful.  Once
we had only boys again, the herd settled down and everything has been fine.
He's about a year and a half now and other than wishing he'd have had another
baby to play with, he's been pretty easy.  Just gelded last month when the
neighbors moved two mares in next
to their fence.  He was getting too mouthy anyway, but I wanted him to stay
intact as long as possible, he's much sweeter now!

.      o o          o o
    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
       (*)~(*)\_______/
       o  o    o-- /