[RC] Foal help - sandy . l . holder

I haven't been on Ridecamp in quite some time (heck my mom even thinks I'm 'too busy' because I don't call her as much as I used to). . . but thought I'd reach out for some help from the broader community.

My beautiful arabian colt is 4 months old now, has been part our small herd since he was a month old and enjoying roaming our 12 hilly acres.  I spent 18 months finding the right stallion (exceptionally conformational correct to improve on the mare and live cover because she was a 16 yo maiden).  I read 2 voluminous college text books and then solicited the advise my friends as well as my 74 yo mentor (who's forgotten more than I'll ever know).  Results are really, really nice!  Training also is progressing  well in that he leads, ties, bathes and has been trailered twice (and surprised me one day when he hopped in by himself to sneak hay from the floor when I was messing around inside).

Next challenge is finding out when to wean - the jury is out, as I've heard everything from 3 - 6 months. . . . and he's 4 months old now, and what to feed once he's weaned.  Where are all the 'college texts' on this phase (and then training), specifically for endurance horses??!!!.  He currently doesn't get any grain (we did creep feed mare & foal for awhile but no longer), just good oat hay in the a.m. & an alfalfa/grass mix in the evening with his mom (and her milk) and the rest of the herd (3 to 4 geldings, one of which is a wonderful 'uncle' and a dominate boss mare who's pretty protective of him) along with a cup of beet pulp soaked once a day with some Platinum Performance, sized for him.

SO, the big question now is, when to wean and what to feed him once mommy is gone.  Also, any weaning tips would be great, although I've heard 'the best way' is to take her to our other pasture (35 acres) with is 15 - 20 minutes away and leave her with the other (smaller) herd for a couple of months.  Oh and tips on how to care for her while her milk is drying up would be nice too!!~

so, HELP!!~~

Also, because we like the cross so well, we're planning on rebreeding our lovely broodmare again in the spring to the same stallion.

Please email me back (privately or not), as I would love all the input!~

Thanks,
Sandy
AERC#M30961 (yes, that's me riding the 17 yo & 14 yo horses!)
Sandy L Holder
| Director - PricewaterhouseCoopers | Telephone: +1 408 218 5028 | Facsimile: +1 813 375 4286 | sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.