[RC] The Church of the Hoof - Lynn White

It’s been an interesting read, this shoe vs. barefoot theme.  One truth about
endurance is that since it’s a whole horse sport there is always something to
learn about and obsess over.  I think I’ve mastered the mechanics of the
equine gut so I suppose now it’s time to start turning the pages of the
equine foot.

I’ve been a shoe fan for years without really knowing why.  I always just
thought that horses needed shoes and to be frank, it’s easy to just nail
shoes on and forget about it.  I never had much of a problem with shoes and
didn’t give it much thought.  I didn’t think about the mechanics of lower
leg movement, the force a horse exerts on the front end, the stresses and
strains of tendons, or coffin bones or any of that soundness stuff.  I never
had a problem with it so I just didn’t worry about it.  I was a default
member of the “Shod Denomination.”

Then I watched this old silent  1925 documentary called “Grass” in which
the nomadic Bakhtiari people in Southwest Iran migrate over the Zagros
mountains twice a year to get to their grazing grounds…on unshod horses.  Now
that is some serious-ass-rocky-country.  Their trip makes the Tevis look like a
walk in the park  (I think it’s still done, but most the people have moved on
to the oil fields).   I also have a couple photos from the 1920’s of Kurds
riding their unshod horses on some pretty rough looking country.  The Turkmen
did some incredible things with their unshod Akhal-Tekes.  The Cossacks did
some major ass-whooping with their unshod horses, and it’s because their
horses were unshod that they were able to defeat Napoleon’s  shod cavalry
during the winter months.  Genghis Kahn almost conquered the world with unshod
horses.  Shoes obviously had their place in warfare, but they were no guarantee
that battles would be won. The succcess
of a cavalry all boiled down to how the horses were kept and managed for the
climate and type of warfare.

Back off that tangent on on to the subject:  What furthered my
“enlightenment” was that suddenly my mare developed this rather violent
aversion to having nails driven in her rear left foot.  She had to be sedated
to be shod...and I mean almost falling over sedated.  So shoeing became a
stressful endeavor of coordinating a vet and a farrier to come to my place
simultaneously.  It was at this time I started seeing shoeless horses at rides
and heard all sorts of miraculous stories about unshod horses from the
“Barefoot Denomination.”

This whole debate of the shod vs. barefoot reminds me so much of differing
interpretations of the Bible.  Anyone that has spent any amount of time in an
evangelical church can totally relate to this.   It’s just about as
emotional.  The only difference is the opinion concerning who is going to Hell
and whose horse is going lame.

But what it all this has done is resulted in people doing their own research
and learning about the huge myriad of variables involved in hoof care.  Yes, I
am planning on the shoeless route with my mare because she has feet like steel
and I live in a pretty arid climate.  I’m a mile chaser so placement isn’t
a big deal to me.  If I need to go slow I go slow.  I’ve still got a lot to
learn about hoof balance and the mechanics of  soundness.  But I think we are
on the right course.  I don’t know if my colt will need shoes or not, but
when we get there at least I will have done my homework and will be able to
make a pretty sound decision (pardon the pun).  I plan on being a member of the
“Hoof Health Denomination.”  It should be a pretty lively place to be with
lots of arguing,  and back and forth with everything being subject to question.
But we’ll learn a lot I think.

Lynn

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people"

-W.C. Fields