Re: [RC] Disqualified - Susan

I don't quite understand "judgment call" when a rider packs up and doesn't present his horse for a final vet inspection.  That's a blatant rules violation since the rules specifically say the horse has to be fit to continue as judged by the vet (not a quote or even a close paraphrase of the rules).

**After re-reading you previous posts, do you mean the horse physically standing for the vet?  If so, NOW I understand what you mean by "judgement call".  I don't think a horse will be DQ'd for dancing around.  Kicking and raring would get you a quick ticket home, though.  This IS rare because most endurance horses know to save their energy for the trail.**

A judgment call would be the RM DQ'ing a rider for rude behavior.  My rules state that I can DQ a rider if I judge his behavior to be rude.  If I got reports from several riders that Rude Rider ran them off the trail, there is a VERY good possibility that Rude Rider will be gone.  That's my judgment and as such can open me up for a protest much more easily than a blatant rules violation such as not standing for the final vet examination (not that that matters to me one wit).

Elizabeth Walker <bwalker2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, OK. And in reality - I think that DQs are pretty rare, and are
only for pretty obvious problems.

That said - the rules aren't specific (and they can't be, really). So
- the actual point of disqualification can be a judgment call on the
part of the official - such as failure to stand for the vet inspection.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, ISSO Secretary, ISSO Points Secretary, Regional Representative
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)