Re: [RC] Hoof Wizard...What do you guys think?? - Lysane Cree

It sounds like a quick fix - and possibly cutting the hoof to fit the "ideal" rather than trimming and balancing to what the horse needs and can handle at a given time. Sure we should all aim for ideal hooves, but doesn't mean that is appropriate for that horse at that time given conformation, way of going, previous trimming or shoeing good or bad etc etc. and changes should be made gradually. There are way too many variables to slap on a template and draw a few lines. Maybe I'm making too quick of a judgment, but sounds like mistakes waiting to happen...Even a traditional hoof gauge should not be relied upon 100% so that if your horse doesn't have the book "ideal" angle, you are going to cut to make it so. Some horses may never have the ideal hoof angle, or be off a few degrees, but that works for them and they are going just fine.

Lysane

----- Original Message ----
From: Steven Hay <stevenshay2002@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ectra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:44:08 AM
Subject: [RC] Hoof Wizard...What do you guys think??

I got this e-mail about this product called the 'Hoof Wizard' the other day, and since we always seem to be talking about feet and shoeing I thought I would ask what ya'll thought of this????   http://www.hoofwizard.com/index.php

  I don't know it just seems so oversimplified....

Thanks,
  Steven H. in PA