[RC] bf trim-terry - Rick Jackson

I too only have one horse to worry about. We have almost perfect conditions for the barefoot lifestyle. Right now I am only doing ld's so it is not as imperative for me to be overly concerned with hoof protection. If and when we move up to 50s I suspect I will invest in some boots. It really depends on the rides we choose. Gravy was shod for malibu and still got a stone bruise! I think because he couldnt "feel" the ground as well he was pushing harder through some rocky patches. Believe me I was trying to slow him down but it was one mile from the finish and we both could smell home. He was shod for the quicksilver ride but didnt really need to be. Although he was wearing steel for only 8 weeks (barefoot prior and since) it has taken 4 months for him to transition back to bare! His hooves seemed to soften up with shoes. He is 98% now. I want to see a little more improvement in his frogs. Our next ride is 2 trims away. I am confident he will be race-ready by then. His soles are rock hard! You could hammer nails with them! My trimmer has studied and swears by the Pete Ramey methods and he does great work. It is a lifestyle and not just a trim! I am committed to it because I am able to focus on just one animal and our terrain permits it. I am a believer but not a fanatic about barefoot. It is NOT for every horse, rider, or ride.

Rick
As for me and my horse, we shall serve the Lord. Gallopin' 2:4