[RC] Barefoot Trim - Terry - FXLivestock

Terry, You know I have been a supporter of those that choose to do the barefoot/boot route choice for endurance.? You are certainly an excellent example of how much dedication and time it took to find the right combination so e bey could successfully finish a 100 barefooted/booted.? You helped make me a believer that this was a possible choice for endurance horses.

But, since we are talking about endurance horses, I am a little dismayed at what you write below.? I think you are wrong to make the assumption that horses with steel shoes live in? soft mushy stalls.? I have close to 40 horses at my place and nobody lives in mushy stalls.? Many endurance horses live in conditions that allow them to move around if they choose, even if they do not live in pastures they are just turned out with other horses  for hours a day.?? Also, in endurance riding, I know very few serious riders who keep shoes on for more than 6 weeks.? In fact, I shoe my horse every 4-6 depending on race schedules and do not know anyone who can adhere to an 8-10 week schedule.? I resent the comment that by hiring a farrier, the farrier assumes all responsibility and I just write the check.? That is completely wrong.? I work with professionals (including veterinarians on occasion) to help make the best decisions for my horses feel.? I am a full participant in the process not just the check writer.? Most endurance riders I know, whether? using steel shoes or barefoot are full participants in the hoofcare process of their endurance horses.

I really do respect riders like yourself, who take the time research and experiment with what is best for their horses. Bur,? just because I do not choose to make the same hoof care decisions as you does not mean that my choices are wrong for my horses or that I just leave the responsibility to other whom I pay with a check.

There are many ways to be successful in this sport.....many paths lead to the same goal. ? Over a few short years, barefoot/booted endurance has almost become mainstream. ?? I think that is great for those that want to go that route. ? But nature did not design horses to carry weight, travel long distances (50+ MI) ? at speed with a rider on their back, and design feet to take the conditioning stress that many high level endurance horses endure. Again, kudos to those that can compete in this sport bare/booted.? But, metal shoes have a place in this sport.? It is the responsibility of the riders, regardless of what method of hoof protection they choose, to make the best and most informed decisions for their individual horse and that mean taking an active role in hoof care. ? Sometimes that may mean giving a horse a break without shoes for a couple months during down season or maybe that mean wearing hoof protection because a ride manager feels it is in the best interest for the safety of the horse because of ride conditions.

I only responded to this post because it sounds like it was written to a a novice or pleasure riding group, not an endurance group.

Kim Fuses