[RC] Why I require hoof protection (was: Barefoot endurance) - sherman

Reposting this to correct the lack of word wrapping, I hope!
Kathy

We?re not arguing?we?re having a totally civil discussion on this issue (:>)
My horse and I recently tried out to be an part of the SOS team. Several of
the horses are barefoot, but it is required that boots be carried when we
are on an SOS assignment. It is odd that the vets would require the boots to
be removed for the vet in. I cannot remove boots once they are foamed on. I
was asked once to remove the boots and just told them that I couldn?t get
them off, they were glued on. That was the end of it. I have seen lame
horses, usually with an abcess, that are no longer showing lameness when
they are booted. I wonder if that?s why the vets where you are request that
they be removed?just to make sure they are not hiding lameness. I have also
seen lame horses be padded, then they walk out sound?but as you said, there
is no request to remove those as it would be unreasonable. If I were asked
to remove unglued boots, I still might say it?s too difficult to get them on
and off, especially due to my sore back, arthritis in the fingers, etc, but
maybe if they?d do the removal and replacement for me, that?d be okay (:>)
?
Kathy ?
?
This arguement seems odd to me.........ride managers can require hoof
protection but they don't follow you through the ride to make sure you're
using
it.? Having the protection just seems like it would cover the managers so
they
aren't hauling footsore horses back to camp.? How tough is it to have a set
of
boots (any type that fits) just in case you get into more rocks that you
were
prepared for or if your horse does get a little ouchy, you can throw some
boots
on and not risk getting pulled? I have a friend here in the NW region that
completed an LD (30 miles) on her barefoot horse and he did fantastic, the
footing at this ride (Klickitat Trek) is pretty darn good, with only a few
short sections of gravel road.? She did carry boots however, just in case, I

mean we never know what could happen, and she was prepared.? My only gripe
are
vets that require you to remove boots for the vet in.? How many of us are
asked
to remove our horse's shoes/pads before
we vet in?? Seems unfair in that regard.
?
.????? o o????????? o o
??? o_ \ \____?? o_ \_\
?????? (*)~(*)\_______/