[RC] Why I require hoof protection (was: Barefoot endurance) - heidi larson

This arguement seems odd to me.........ride managers can require hoof
protection but they don't follow you through the ride to make sure you're using
it.  Having the protection just seems like it would cover the managers so they
aren't hauling footsore horses back to camp.  How tough is it to have a set of
boots (any type that fits) just in case you get into more rocks that you were
prepared for or if your horse does get a little ouchy, you can throw some boots
on and not risk getting pulled? I have a friend here in the NW region that
completed an LD (30 miles) on her barefoot horse and he did fantastic, the
footing at this ride (Klickitat Trek) is pretty darn good, with only a few
short sections of gravel road.  She did carry boots however, just in case, I
mean we never know what could happen, and she was prepared.  My only gripe are
vets that require you to remove boots for the vet in.  How many of us are asked
to remove our horse's shoes/pads before
we vet in?  Seems unfair in that regard.

.      o o          o o
    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
       o  o    o-- /
                 / \