[RC] Cowboy longrider riding wild mustang NV to TX Mustang Makeover - Dawn Simas

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine, his Lucky 13 Ranch is the one that Amigo was at this summer.  Matt took 6th place in the Sacto Horse Expo's Mustang Challenge this summer.  He's an excellent trainer, Amigo is better because of him.  :)  He is entered in the Sept Mustang Makeover in TX.  He's had the BLM gelding he's been assigned for about 6 weeks now.  He's broke to ride, desensitized to traffic, night lights, etc, he's come a long way.

Matt's protocol is the spend a lot of time and gain their trust and represent a leadership role, then the horse responds quickly after that.  His mare in Sacto was the only one fully "in the bridle" and she was doing lead departures, flying lead changes, he was riding one handed at a gallop, she walked up steps, I think she'd walk through fire if he asked.

So, to raise money for the Mustang Heritage Foundation and John Wayne's Center for Breast Cancer, he is now riding this new gelding the rest of summer from Las Vegas area to Ft. Worth TX, arriving there for the Makeover September 20.  This gelding is a young horse, was wild only 6 weeks ago, so Matt is taking it very slowly with his father following along in a chase vehicle for safety.  I am assuming he is riding trail sections, road shoulders, bypassing congested areas, similar to the Great American Horse Race in 1974.  He is basically "finishing" this horse on the trail, the way cowboys did it back in the day.  I told him about the time that Wendell Robie had to ride 100 miles to get medicine to a child when a road was out and the horse wasn't broke.  He said, "He'll be broke when I get back."  :)  Matt is very interested in endurance and would love to chat to you all more about it.  He would like to take his mustang mare (which he bought in the auction at Sacramento) on Tevis someday.

Along the way he is asking for donations and publicity to promote wild horse adoption.  He is encouraging people to publicize and come see his mustang, and RIDE WITH HIM if you can!  He also needs help with overnight stops and advice on his route.  You can email him on the trail, he just left the other day and is in AZ now.  He's quite a character, great all round guy, excellent horseman.  He's asked me to ask you all for help along the way.

You can email him at lucky13kowboy at aol dot com

His blog, route and daily update is at: