[RC] Barefoot distance - sherman

I know they have a right to make a rule about bare hooves, but I don’t understand the need for it any more than the need to require padding. Does any ride “require” padding? Some rides are particulary rocky and there are always horses pulled for lamness due to the rocky terrain, but the pads are recommended, sometimes strongly, but not required. I suspect it’s a desire to protect the horse from discomfort, but some bits are pretty darn uncomfortable, saddles cause pain, etc., and the horses are just pulled if they are determined to be suffering in any way. If the barefoot horse is ouchie, it’ll get pulled, right? Then the owner would know they need hoof protection, just like the owner using a poor fitting saddle will know it’s time to get a different saddle if their horse is pulled due to a saddle sore or sore back. It puts the responsibility onto the owner where it should be, IMO.

Kathy