Re: [RC] RC has laryngitis? - Maryanne Gabbani

We managed to be the last place to get it, but get it we did. It started with two of my boarders' horses and then a mule, all three were the newest arrivals here so they had the worst immune systems. Last night my youngest donkey began coughing and running a fever of 40 C...pretty high. We give them an anti-inflammatory to bring the fever down and bathe them in cool water...they come down in half an hour or so. Then they get some antibiotic for secondary infections, a cough syrup and some nigella sativa oil which tastes quite nasty (I think) but it really helps with chest congestion.

This morning the nursery (the paddock with the weanlings and yearlings) had one with a fever and two with runny noses and a last one who will be sick tomorrow for sure. All three donkeys are sick. One mule seems to be immune as does one gelding on the newbie row.  The working horses are in the paddock next to the nursery and I can pick out two who will almost certainly be sick tomorrow. We are up to 10 sick and 15 relatively healthy, but that will be quite different tomorrow.

The good news is that the two horses who first got sick about 4 days ago have now been 48 hours without fever and are on the mend. So if we keep on top of things, we have about 3 tough days per horse, but of course they are all staggered. Thank heaven I have three terrific grooms who take temps every 4 hours so that we catch the fevers on the way up and the horses don't get weak from them. We haven't had to have anyone on IV so far and hopefully won't. They are all eating  and drinking well, partly due to our having upped their salt intake significantly a couple of weeks ago.  A friend stopped by to visit and while watching one of our mares peeing, asked me what in the world we gave them to drink to produce such copious amounts of fluid. LOL

Now we just get to wait for everyone to stop coughing and get better. That's the fun part since the rule of thumb is a week off for each day of coughing. Long holidays.

Maryanne