Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:24 PM
Subject: [RC] riding on slick rock

Another thing??

We?re headed to Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite high country) in a few weeks ((I know? lucky us, huh?) and I know there?s a lot of cap rock (slick granite) up there.  I?m trying to decide whether to go barefoot or shoe.  There is a good amount of ?normal? rock too so I?m leaning toward shoes.  My shoer suggested borium (??) nails.  She said she?d only put in 4/foot and that would stop slipping.  I?m not familiar with these nails but have heard they?re not recommended for endurance because they?re too ?grippy?.  So what about using them for trail riding.  I don?t anticipate moving very fast up there with the rock and my horses being all chubby and out of shape.  Comments?  Ideas?  Experiences?

Thanks for input.

Ann

(not wanting to invest in boots for 2 horses just for this trip)