[RC] shavings,trailering and bells - Tx Trigger

Some feed stores give you a choice of shavings type. I like the BIG shavings, not the small ones that have more dust. For our long hauls, I bed the trailer deep, and then hose the shavings down some, to keep the dust down, and it also cools the trailer some. if it is really, really hot, and I find the horses sweating in the trailer, I have been known to find a water spigot, and attach my garden hose, and hose down the horses some, and the trailer.

Mine pee in the trailer. I'm glad they do, as I don't want them to feel the need to hold it. Just makes them cranky, and uncomfortable. (just like it does us) I don't mind cleaning out the trailer, and often do so at stops, so I know how much they ARE going pee and pooping. Of course, I make sure to consider where I clean the trailer, and not leave a trace for non horse lovers. But just like at camp, cleaning up so you know if the horse has all systems go, I do the same when I haul. Heaven forbid I broke down and the horse was stuck in the trailer in a spot I could NOT unload, I would want them to do what they needed to do. Worth it for a comfortable horse. But, I do unload on really long hauls. A  6 hour haul, it would depend on how soon after arrival the horse would have to get to work. If I was arriving "early" to the ride, that they horse got to rest a tad more, rehydrate etc., then straight through on 6 hours is fine. If he had to go the next morning, I might stop, and get him to drink, and eat a super wet mash, to try to limit his dehydration level. It is not the eating that they need as much to me, as the drinking.

You will not find ONE agreement on shavings, no shavings, stay in trailer, unload, feed, no feed etc. when hauling. Find what works for your horse, your trailer type, and your horse.

And we often have a bell on our horses during hunting season to alert hunters, and to help find ones horse in the woods, if they part ways with said rider. Often the woods are so thick, if the horse ran off into them, they are hard to see, but you may be able to hear their bell. But I try to remember to remove the bell if riding with folks who don't like the sound. And, I don't use them on the rides, but do on our local trails, especially when riding alone, which is 99% of the time.

jonni in TX (I hear thunder! Hoping some rain is to follow!...Oops, here is the rain!)