[RC] Shavings in the Trailer/Peeing - Karen Standefer

On long hauls (which I realize the OP was not considering), I don’t want my horse’s peeing in the trailer.  It’s more ammonia build than I want them to breath.  I prefer to have well travelled/trained horses that will behave themselves at a stop.  My older horse pees on command (whistle) and knows full well the main purpose of the stop.  He has quickly trained the younger one simply by observation.  I don’t have to stop longer than 10 minutes for both of the horses to pee.  Then, I don’t have pee in the trailer to clean up and don’t have to worry about them breathing the ammonia over several days hauling.

In order to keep them accustomed to this “rule”, that requires that I let them out at the same interval on shorter trips as well.  They ARE creatures of habit/repetition.  So, I prefer, in order for them to NOT pee in the trailer, to let them out every 4 hours to pee and stretch their legs, even on one day hauls.

We’re lucky that in the NW we have pretty safe rest stops for the horses.  I know, from travelling across the country with mine, that is not the case everywhere.