Re: [RC] Auburn Dam - Truman Prevatt

I expect there will be a damn somewhere. CA is needs water and we all need alternative sources of electricity from other than oil fired electric plants. Damns address both issues nicely. If there is one thing 4 buck per gallon gas will do to the population is swing support away from such things as environmental concerns raised by such things as damns toward projects that will have some promise of reducing or at least stabilizing energy prices.

If not for the massive oil spill in the lower Mississippi River you would now see a very loud drum beat for more off shore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. It was warming up when the two tankers collided. A shift in the public perceptions and public opinion because of the high cost of oil (just wait till this winter and the cost of fuel oil has its major impact) - will I expect lead to a big shift in public policy related to all things energy related.

Places like CA, the SW and the inter-mountain Rockies which have experienced population growth and with all the research related to global climate change pointing to less natural water fall than in the past (which has been the case more or less over the past 10 years) are going to have to address the water issue anyway they conceivably can. Scientific American had a interesting series of articles recently on how precious and scarce fresh water resources will be come both world wide and in the US (particularly the West and Southern tier of states) in the future and the future is not that far off.

Truman

Ranelle Rubin wrote:
If I lived in the suburbs, I would be the first person to have what used to be called a "victory garden". My grandmother had one, and IMO, planting a vegetable garden in your front lawn is a much better use of water! We could start an online source for free fertilizer right here on RC!!

I would be surprised if they ever built the Auburn Dam to be honest. They just invested millions of dollars to create a "rapid simulation area" just for the rafters in the immediate area of the long moth-balled Dam Site.

Of course, they forgot to honor the commitment they made to provide an equestrian bridge now that the river has been "restored" and is not safe to cross there any longer!

/Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne/

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx

530-885-3510 home office
916-718-2427 cellular
916-848-3662 fax

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil