[RC] [RC] Swanton Pacific - wrecksduke

I've done both Tevis and Swanton 100's.  Both are great rides.  Swanton is one
of the most beautiful rides.
The last time I rode there, it was the 100 miler.  I ended up riding the last
70 miles by myself.
There are some good climbs, some of which you may want to walk/tail up and some
good downhills that you can jog down with your horse.
There are some stretches of road you have to ride along but I never felt in any
danger of cars.
The stream crossing is no problem.  The photographer usually get great photos
there.
There were some stretches of gravel roads (pads or other similar hoof
protection probably good here).
The fog at night (I don't know if its every night) near the logging mill, by
the coast, does make it a little difficult to see the glow sticks.  You can
make out the trail though (I did).
You will also ride by/near cows when riding through "siberia".
Anyway, that's the most obvious things I can think of.  Just go do it.  Its a
great ride and it gets over shadowed by Tevis..... I think because it is about
one month afterwards.
This may be the last year Barbara and crew put on the 100.  I hope there are
tons of people this year.... so Barbara and Lud keep putting it on.  I'll be
crewing this year and hopefully riding the 100 again soon.
Melody

---- Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've noticed several comments on the humidity at Swanton Pacific.  Humidity
on the coast of CA is otherwise known as fog (off the ocean) and is usually
chilly.  Sunday, for example, while heading up the mountain to clear trail,
it was foggy clear up to 2,000 ft. elevation, with the condensation dripping
off the redwoods.  This "fog drip" is what redwoods thrive on...it's part of
their whole ecology.  The fire road was quite damp in spots and there were a
couple of puddles.  By noon or thereabouts, the fog had lifted and it was
lovely...sunny but not too warm.
Real humidity, coupled with heat, is rare here.  It can happen, but it's not
very common.  We've had some hot days, off and on, up in the 90s.  Hot, here,
is anything over 78.  With luck, the fog in the morning, sunny and not overly
hot in the afternoon, pattern will continue, but of course we make no
promises.  Dress in layers, so you can add or subtract to meet weather
conditions.

Several years ago, the head vet called a halt at 3:00 PM to the Castle Rock
ride here, because the temp was 105 in camp, 115 on the ridges, and with high
humidity.  That was a brutal day.

I've started Tevis 8 times, finished 3, and THAT is hot!  Anything over 90 is
more than this coastal CA-raised lady likes.  Above that, I melt.

Barbara McCrary
Ride Mgr., Swanton Pacific 75/100
"The Most Beautiful Trail in the World"

See our Website: