[RC] Tying Up mystery - Kathleen

Cindy,

My mare cramped up last spring and then had a tye up a couple months ago.  My vet and I decided to do a full blood work up on her and check all her mineral levels, blood glucose etc..  She was on quality hay (analyzed), beet pulp, Se yeast, Vitamins, mineral block, probiotics and pasture.  Her blood work showed her “low normal” for Se and several other minerals.  She got a Se shot and I have switched her to Platinum Performance on my vet’s advice and increased her Se yeast.  We will draw blood later in the summer to see how things look after all the changes.

I guess my point is, that without getting blood work done I would NEVER have thought Se was her problem since I supplement.  The blood work can eliminate or confirm many possibilities.  I wish I had done blood work last year when she cramped up, I could have saved her a tye up and lost riding time bringing her back from it…not to mention the worry about her welfare.  I really recommend getting a blood work up done on the “mystery” tye up mare.

Kathleen Ferguson

AERC 717